Monday, November 30, 2009

Ayla Marie Kandamr: The First Two Weeks

It's hard to believe Ayla is already two weeks old. I forgot how challenging it is getting used to a newborn, in addition to learning how to balance our attention to our two year old. Batu is trying to adjust to having a sister. His first comments when we brought Ayla home were, "Can I touch her nose? Does she have big feet? She cannot wear my hat." We regularly talked about the "baby" to Batu while I was pregnant but now that she is here, reality is sinking in. Ozan has been home the last two weeks to help out, but Batu tends to get a little lost in the chaotic shuffle while I tend to Ayla and Ozan tries to maintain the house. Batu continually asks for "Mommy" whenever Ozan is with Batu and he's had a few temper tantrums, one so severe that he vomited. He's also getting over a cold and pink eye. Batu is back to daycare today so I am hoping things will get a little better.

The other big adjustment has been breastfeeding. Ayla's been really sleepy while nursing and did not readily re-gain weight by the sixth day. So I've been pumping and supplementing with extra breast milk. We are feeding her every three hours and it's been a non-stop cycle of nursing, pumping, supplementing, washing out bottles and pumping equipment, putting her to sleep then gearing up to start the entire routine again. We go to the doctor's today for her two week check up so I am hopeful her weight is up.

Our next big hurdle is to find childcare for Ayla. Our daycare may have a spot for her in the spring and I'll find out this week. If not, we are toying with the idea of hiring a nanny or au pair. I return to work in March so we have some time to sort things out.

1 comment:

Em said...

You guys have a lot to think about. I'm thrilled to hear you are off until March.

PS You will LOVE having a girl.