Tuesday, June 1, 2010

finger licker

While dropping Batu off at daycare this morning, I observed the strangest thing. Little "Justin" (not his real name) was sitting alone on the bench near the cubbies licking his fingers and hands. At first I thought, "Maybe he just ate something and was trying to nip off a crumb." After a few more minutes, he continued to lick his fingers and hands all at the same time, cupping them in a ball, while drooling all over himself. I looked up at the teacher and said, "What's going on here?" She apologetically acknowledged that "it's strange behavior" and they will clean him up once it's over. I was like, "Clean him now and stop this nonsense, or send him home!"

After I left, I couldn't get the vision of this kid's finger licking out of my head. I thought about it as I drove up to NH for work. I mentioned it to a co-worker to see her reaction. Her response, "probably some sort of compulsive disorder." I later googled "toddler finger licking" but didn't find much information. It's episodes like this that make me want to take my kids out of daycare.

No comments: